[WikiEN-l] Application of the {{pd-art}} tag

Mak makwik at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 18:26:23 UTC 2006

<snip>

I am not a lawyer, but IIRC, Bridgeman v Corel only applies to
two-dimensional copies of two-dimensional works (though it may apply
to three-dimensional copies of three-dimensional works).  The basis of
it is that a "slavishly accurate" copy of a work involves no creative
effort, and so cannot establish a copyright separate from that of the
original.  Photographing a 3D work involves creative effort, in the
choice of lighting and camera angle.
<snip>

This has come up in an article I'm working on- does this ruling apply to
images from books or manuscripts? Are books three dimensional art works,
even if what you're reproducing is a single page from them? My father, a
librarian, seems to think the owning library continues to hold copyright for
all such images. I'm not so sure.

Makemi