[WikiEN-l] Real-time mirrors as a net revenue _source_?

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Mon Apr 10 00:06:12 UTC 2006

Tony Sidaway wrote:
> On 4/9/06, Neil Harris <neil at tonal.clara.co.uk> wrote:
>> * Wikipedia remains ad-free
>
> Why is this an important goal?  If we put, say, Google ads up on
> Wikipedia, how would it compromise Wikipedia?  They're easy enough to
> block.

It's not a case of blocking the ads, it's a case of increasing our
dependency on a profit-making organisation. Google has done good works
but it makes me nervous thinking we may become dependent on corporations
for Wikipedia's existence. Corporations are known to threaten the
withdrawal of funds as punishment.

Chris

--
Chris Jenkinson
chris at starglade.org

"Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful."
  -- Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra