[WikiEN-l] Illegal sources

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Fri Apr 7 12:52:31 UTC 2006

On 7 Apr 2006 at 11:45, Mikkerpikker <mikkerpikker at gmail.com> wrote:

> Excellent idea! I have just looked at the protocol, and can see no
> reason why Wikipedia can't adopt it for this specific (and very
> serious and potentially damaging) issue of child porn.

But would the picture under recent debate count as "child porn" under
that protocol?  The definition there is:

  (c) Child pornography means any representation, by whatever means,
  of a child engaged in real or simulated explicit sexual activities
  or any representation of the sexual parts of a child for primarily
  sexual purposes.

The picture was a cartoon.  This was clearly not "real".  Maybe it
can be argued to be "simulated", but only in a cartoony manner, not
anything approximating a realistic simulation.  The girl in question
was pulling down her pants, but no "explicit sexual activities" were
actually shown.  Is her bare (cartoon) butt a "sexual part"?

In the trailer for the SpongeBob SquarePants movie (approved for
general audiences by the MPAA), SpongeBob drops his SquarePants, and
you see a brief image of his cartoon butt.  Is that pornographic?

If you start defining things based on what the viewers of the picture
think about (are they sexually aroused, or do they just find it
humorous?) then you get in the territory of "Thought Crime".  If
enough people get aroused by the Sears lingerie catalog, should that
be classified as pornographic too?

--
== Dan ==