[WikiEN-l] Footers (WAS: Re: Deleting the Lolicon picture)

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue Apr 4 14:01:24 UTC 2006

G'day David,

(You just top-quoted a reply to Dan Tobias.  Nice knowing you ...
quoting fixed, by the way)

 > Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
 >>It can also be difficult to follow a list with lots of topics going
 >>on at once if there isn't any contextual quoting (carefully trimmed)
 >>above the response to remind you of what is being replied to.
 >>Reading the context *after* the reply is awkwardly backward.
 >
> Perhaps it would be better if there was NO footer at all (rather
> than stripping out multiple occurences of the footer post-sending). This
> would solve the display problems you mentioned without screwing PGP
> signing. Surely the fact that [WikiEN-l] is in the subject line tells
> someone that the email is from the mailing list, without the need for
> the footer.

Naw.  People suddenly jack up and decide to leave mailing lists
(particularly one of such, erm, "variable" quality as this one) all the
time, and often they forget exactly how.  A nice little footer is *very*
helpful.

Cheers,

--
Mark Gallagher