[WikiEN-l] emailing to "query being blocked"

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Apr 2 15:12:16 UTC 2006

(cc'ed in case you aren't subscribed to the list)

G'day Lauren,

> This evening I saw something that I knew to be inaccurate on a Wikipedia
> page (namely on the *Starbucks* page).  I often visit Wikipedia, and enjoy
> reading it, but never before had I ever attempted to edit anything.  So I
> was really surprised when I clicked on the *edit* button and it send me to a
> page informing me that I was blocked.  I would like to find out why my I.P.
> address is associated with this event, and I appreciate your efforts in
> looking into this.

This happens often.  On Wikipedia, we (perhaps tactlessly) refer to it
as "collateral damage".  It means that you are editing from the same IP
address as someone who has made malicious edits ("vandalism").  We
recognise that this is not your fault, and will usually try to unblock
people caught up as you were as soon as we can.

> *General info*:
>
> I do not have an account at this time, so no username.
>
> My I.P. address is *198.151.179.66*
> **
> Wikipedia says that I was blocked by *Refdoc* for "vandalism," but does not
> specify any further (i.e. what it was concerning).

I've checked the relevant logs, and an editor using the computer you
used at uni made this edit back in September:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=University_of_the_Ozarks&diff=prev&oldid=24875327>

I am not sure why your IP address remained blocked over all this time,
as we generally try to keep our IP blocks as short as possible to avoid
as much as possible affecting legitimate editors like yourself.

> I would be really pleased if this could be sorted out/cleared up,
> explained, and I could then create an account with Wikipedia.  I really want
> to find out what this "block" is referring to.  Again, thank you for your
> time.

I've unblocked you, and apologise for the inconvenience caused.  Thanks
for supporting Wikipedia: first impressions notwithstanding, good
authors *are* always welcome! :-)

Thanks,

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"