[WikiEN-l] Afd nominations

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Sep 30 19:29:05 UTC 2005

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, SPUI wrote:

> Tony Sidaway wrote:
> > While it may be annoying when a favorite type of article is listed for
> > deletion, it's best viewed as a chance to argue your case to not delete it.
> >
> > Remember that the case for deletion needs a consensus, which is actually
> > pretty hard to raise if an article has any merit.
> >
> So in other words, the traffic circle articles have no merit? Bull.

Just a thought, SPUI: can you think of a traffic circle that you could
write an article worthy of Featured Article status? I ask this in a
constructive way, because a very irrefutable argument to anyone who
writes on AfD to the effect "This is only an X, & all X is non-notable.
Delete" is "Well, Y is an X, & it is a *FEATURED ARTICLE*!!!"[*]

I mention this because a few weeks ago, when you raised the same problem
concerning roads, I was about to say the same thing -- only to find
that there is an article about a road in California with FA status.
One would have to be stubborn to the point of being disruptive not to
see that a more thoughtful argument was needed to carry a motion to
delete roads between settlements at that point: unless a consensus was
created off on some obscure talk page stating otherwise, no article
should be deleted that does not have a reasonable chance of gaining
FA status. (Roads & streets inside a city may not be protected by
this precedent, though: which means we need another example in FA status.)

Geoff

{*] Although you will make your point more graciously without the caps,
asterisks, & fewer exclamation marks.