[WikiEN-l] Tor horror stories

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Sep 27 18:34:18 UTC 2005

Neil Harris wrote:
> Regarding Tor, does anyone have, or has anyone considered, an
> auto-discovery robot to find Tor proxies?
>
> This would be a Tor client which would connect to Tor at regular
> intervals and hit a special URL with a magic authenticating token in it,
> that would automatically ban the IP in question.
>
> Sooner or later, it would work its way through all, or almost all, of
> the proxies in the Tor cloud.

This is unnecessary since Tor is happy to give us the list.  What I'm
looking to persuade them is simply that we aren't being Chinese censors
by blocking these, but that there are legitimate difficult issues here,
and as much as we love privacy, we need them to help us work out a way
to handle this.

--Jimbo