[WikiEN-l] Re: Tor horror stories

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:24:42 UTC 2005

Tim Starling wrote:

>  At least my proposal serves to highlight our differences in
> viewpoint. Tor supporters like to justify their existence from the moral
> high ground of protection against government persecution or industrial
> espionage. But what the bulk of Tor users are really interested in is
> obscuring their identity server administrators, and that carries with it
> a different set of ethical implications.

I can see the place of anonymity on Wikinews, for example - reporting
about something you don't want your name linked to as yet. But I
really cannot see that a case has been made for Tor-level anonymity if
the mission statement is "We're here to write an encyclopedia." Even
for regular open proxy anonymity.

- d.