[WikiEN-l] Re: Fair Use suppression getting silly

Ryan Delaney ryan.delaney at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:48:39 UTC 2005

On 9/27/05, Phil Boswell <phil.boswell at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you add [[Category:Pictures of Ford cars]] to that page, the picture
> will
> then appear on the appropriate page **as a member of that category**. Not
> illustrating the category...not describing it...simply as a **member** of
> the category.
>
> Some people seem to think that our Fair Use policy should be so draconian
> that this kind of picture should not be allowed to belong to any category,
> simply because the automatic display of the image's thumbnail on the
> associated category page constitutes violation of Fair Use.

Again, fair use law has nothing to do with what we, personally, find
unreasonable or draconian. If it is the case that having images listed in a
category is incompatible with the law, then we shouldn't do it, period. You
would have to show why this practice constitutes a fair use and the burden
of proof would be squarely on you. As it happens, I think that whoever is
raising this issue is making a pretty good point.

- Ryan