[WikiEN-l] Re: Fair Use suppression getting silly

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 10:30:59 UTC 2005

"Andrew Lih" <andrew.lih at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:2ed171fb05092701414ca01dbd at mail.gmail.com...
[snip]
> If you write an article on the [[Ford Mustang]] and you use a photo
> from ford.com claiming fair use, that's one thing.
> If you use that same (or smaller) Ford Mustang picture on the
> [[Category:Rear wheel drive vehicles]] page as an icon for the page,
> that is gratuitous use.

No argument.

However this is not what I am referring to.

If you add [[Category:Pictures of Ford cars]] to that page, the picture will
then appear on the appropriate page **as a member of that category**. Not
illustrating the category...not describing it...simply as a **member** of
the category.

Some people seem to think that our Fair Use policy should be so draconian
that this kind of picture should not be allowed to belong to any category,
simply because the automatic display of the image's thumbnail on the
associated category page constitutes violation of Fair Use.

So if we attach a category to the {{Fair Use}} template (say [[Category:Fair
Use Images]] for the sake of argument), we are apparently committing an
offense by simply retrieving the category to inspect what images have been
described as "Fair Use" for the purpose of verifying that the description is
correct.

This is the kind of nonsense up with which I am not inclined to put.

I would like clarification or I will have to stamp my foot and pout.
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]