[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" abuse on user pages

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 20:12:40 UTC 2005

Whether people will read it or not, having a set of concrete resources
can aid in discussions with obstinate users as well. Resources can be
forms of authority in and of themselves -- "Look at this, it says you
are wrong."

I don't participate in Meta, and I don't know what the gameplan is
there. And though copyright law applies to all of the Wiki projects,
it applies to them in different ways varying by their content. Commons
is exclusively about image and sound media; Wikisource is about
wholesale textual media; Wikiquote is about what degree of quotation
is copyrightable; etc. So I think having resources tailored to
individual projects makes sense, in the same sense that Wikiquote
ought to have its own Copyrights page distinct from Wikipedia's (which
it now does).

The goal of the resources I'm proposing is to focus on simplicity,
ease, and low-investment (of time, energy, brain, etc.) on the part of
the user. Whether some users refuse to make any use of it, I still
think on the whole it's not a bad idea and could be quite useful. But
it's just one of many such things.

FF