[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" abuse on user pages

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 16:43:52 UTC 2005

Just as a note: I created a sub-page at WP:WPFU,
[[Wikipedia:WikiProject Fair use/Explaining fair use]], for the
purposes of exploring ideas and coordinating human resources towards
creating easy to understand resources to explain fair use and
copyright law as it applies to Wikipedia. As I currently see it, the
goal of such a project would be as follows:

> Wikipedia users on the whole do not know much about U.S. copyright law, and are thus generally not very empowered to make reasoned decisions about whether something is "fair use" or not. This often leads to rather bitter arguments between users, which generally collapse as one party notes that the other is not a lawyer and thus not an authority on the topic.

> It would be more ideal if there were easy, straightforward references which one could refer users on Wikipedia to which would explain the notion of copyright, "fair use", and their applications to Wikipedia in a manner which would not require any experience in legal reasoning or a large time commitment.

It's of course very underdeveloped at this point, but anyone
interested in such a thing should stop on by. Some current ideas I
listed were graphical explanations, checklists, flowcharts, a
Wikibook, improved descriptions on the relevant policy pages, etc., as
well as some links I find useful in thinking about "fair use" (which
are still a bit too technical for the average Wikipedia user, but
closer to what I am imagining we need than a simple quotation of the
"fair use" clause of U.S. copyright law).

FF