[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" abuse on user pages

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 00:09:07 UTC 2005

On 9/23/05, Fastfission <fastfission at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think it *would* be very nice to have a robot which would scour the
> "fair use" categories for orphaned images, and mark them with a little
> remark which said, "If this image is not used in a week, it will be
> deleted. If you object to this, simply edit this image description --
> if this robot is not the last editor of the image description, it will
> just be flagged for review." or something like that.

I've started writing that robot, but ran into a problem with the
pywikipedia framework and [[Category:Fair use images]].  It seems that
there are more than 200 images in the category indexed under "Upload"
(due to a now-fixed bug in MediaWiki from last April and May), which
causes the category enumerator in pywikipedia to loop endlessly.  Once
I've manually touched enough of the images which are indexed under
"Upload" to drop that count below 200, the bug will clear and I'll be
able to use the robot to enumerate the category and do the orphan
check on a periodic basis.

If you want to help, go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Fair_use_images&from=Upload
and make null edits on the images listed therein.  This will cause
them to be reindexed properly and fix the indexing problem with the
Category.  There's a lot of them.

Kelly