[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" abuse on user pages

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 01:38:08 UTC 2005

I did not mean to imply that one should "assume bad faith" in every
instance, of course. Yours sounds like a specific and worthwhile task,
one which could likely be identified as one which could fall into a
"good faith" category.

I'm talking mostly about the many users who upload likely copyrighted
media and plop some sort of PD or fair use tag on it without labeling
the source, and may or may not insert it into an article, and likely
have not searched for "free" alternatives of any sort.

And though I am very much against a media-centric mode of thought in
terms of fair use, I don't think US postage stamps are very high on
the list of copyright dangers. "Assuming bad faith" in terms of
copyright would only mean, as I propose it, assuming that, *in absence
of other reasons to think so*, users who upload copyrighted materials
are likely committing copyright infringement. I think what you are
describing is well within the bounds of the "other reasons to think
so", especially if you explained it to an inquisitive editor in as
sensible a way as you did on this list.

FF