[WikiEN-l] "Fair use" abuse on user pages

Kelly Martin kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 13:53:32 UTC 2005

On 9/22/05, Puddl Duk <puddlduk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/20/05, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've just removed two references to [[Image:Mac Internet
> > Explorer.png]] and two to [[Image:XPlogo.png]] from user pages.  While
> > both of these images have a good argument for fair use on the
> > appropriate articles about their related products, there is no fair
> > use argument for placing these on user pages or in cutesy little
> > "product endorsement" boxes (see [[User:NSR/userboxes]]) for people to
> > put on their user pages.  Wikipedia doesn't need to carry
> > advertisements for anybody, especially not using copyrighted logos.

>  I see this fundemental lack of understanding all the time. And it seems to
> be exacerbated with specific fair use tags.
>
>  One example I recently ran across was a user uploading a lot of porn and
> nude screenshots from various movies. I listed these on the copyright
> problems page. Instead of the images being deleted, the person processing
> the copyvios added a {{screenshot}} tag to a bunch of them. These were
> orphans. They had zero fair-use rationale. But what the hell, there was a
> {{screenshot}} tag to use.
>
>  I just ran across
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:JilKelly-BonitaSaint-DevenDavis-Perfect_Pink.jpg
>  this morning and am wondering if it is even worth the effort to list on
> WP:CP.

No, that's a speedy delete, after you delete the user page references
(which can never been fair use), the image has no use on Wikipedia,
making it an unused fair use image, which is a copyvio.  Jimbo gave us
license to speedily delete copyvio images.  Feel free to zorch it,
assuming I don't beat you to it.

Kelly