FW: [WikiEN-l] Improper speedy taggings

Worldtraveller wikipedia at world-traveller.org
Wed Sep 21 15:30:58 UTC 2005

> I'll go one further, in fact. I think everyone who has been main or
> sole author on a publication in a peer-reviewed scholarly journal
> deserves a Wikipedia article. Yes, this would include a whole lot of
> grad students. But if they're making or have made verifiable
> contributions to their field, we should be including them. No question.
>
> -Snowspinner

Nah, I disagree with that.  I've written several papers in astronomy, and
a referee's report has even described me as a world leader in my field,
but I'd hate to see an article about myself.  The specific field I am
allegedly a world leader in does not even deserve its own article,
although it gets a mention in [[planetary nebula]] (because I wrote that)
and one of my papers is cited in [[Cat's Eye Nebula]].

Wikipedia readers are far better served by a brief mention of my field in
the appropriate context than they would be by any article on my personal
contribution to that field, and I suspect the same is true for 90% of
published academics.

WT