[WikiEN-l] Potential Wikipedian growing pains

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 09:48:45 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:
> Andrew Lih wrote:
>

>>I used to tell folks writing for wiki was easy, and the inclusiveness
>>of it has to do with not being like a database or data entry system.
>>That has changed with templating now being extensively used around the
>>Wikimedia projects.
>

> Nowadays I pretty much tell new contributors "just write a few
> paragraphs and INCLUDE REFERENCES and don't worry about the fancy
> markup for now. Just INCLUDE THE REFERENCES and people will know it's
> a real article about a real thing."
>
> (references++)

I'm starting to think that maybe we should just leave everything in that
isn't immediately speediable, let things be merged and redirected at the
will of the people, and finally let Wikipedia 1.0 sort it all out.

(The other day, when the wiki went slow, someone said suggested
disabling editing, serving Wikipedia from one of the static database
dumps, and declaring Wikipedia as being version 1.0 ;) )

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign