[WikiEN-l] User categories and lists

Guettarda guettarda at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 05:14:15 UTC 2005

The List of Caribbean Wikipedians was redirected to the Category:Caribbean
Wikipedians tonight. Thus I learned about Wikipedia:User categorisation.
While I realised that these cats (Wikipedians in Foo) were spreading, I was
shocked to realise that this page was telling people to redirect lists to
categories. Maybe I missed the discussion at the Village Pump, but I could
not figure out what the point of this change was.

The List of Caribbean Wikipedians is a working resource associated with the
Caribbean Wikipedians' notice board. It serves a purpose in the improvement
of Caribbean-related articles. So why must it be removed? In addition,
although there are 17 names on the list, there are only 4 names in the
Category, and over a dozen national sub-categories...sub-categories which
are so badly named that I cannot add myself to one of them (I am not in
Trinidad and Tobago). The best case scenario would leave the names scattered
through over a dozen categories, with no clue as to whether they had any
interest in matters arising from the notice board or not.

Am I the only one who is bothered by projects which set out to remove useful
material? True, some of the lists are too long to be useful, and true, it's
"fun" to be able to add a link to your user page saying that you in Foo (not
from, not associated with...in). But what sort of a project focusses on the
appearance of the Wikipedia namespace instead of focussing on usefulness? Or
is it no longer true that we are here to write an encyclopaedia?

Ian (Guettarda)