[WikiEN-l] AfD Threshold being Revised Downward Again?

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 17:40:10 UTC 2005

On Sep 20, 2005, at 1:31 PM, Tony Sidaway wrote:

> But AfD is already swamped by growth and this will only get worse.
> Correcting its strong exclusionist bias and restoring its
> connection with
> the deletion policy would not solve its fundamental brokenness.

I agree wholeheartedly. Among other things, I think deletion policy
is always going to have to be adaptive, because, like the blocking
policy, stupid will always find new and previously unimagined ways to
exist. Ultimately, the deletion policy, like the blocking policy,
amounts to endless iterations of "Stop things that hurt Wikipedia
without preventing anything beneficial to Wikipedia." Which is to
say, we cannot sensibly connect the deletion policy to anything as a
set of rigid rules, because all that will obtain is a system designed
to be gamed.

AfD has two deeply seated problems.

1) It is unmanageably big, and will only get bigger.
2) The case for deletion can usually be made with a cursory look at
the article. The case for inclusion often requires mildly substantive
research using non-Wikipedia sources. Thus deletion is always going
to be a fundamentally easier case to argue.

Thus it will always be the case that AfD becomes unmanageable, and
that the unmanageability affects the exclusionists noticably less
than the inclusionists.

-Snowspinner