[WikiEN-l] Topic warriors

Worldtraveller wikipedia at world-traveller.org
Tue Sep 20 17:10:36 UTC 2005

culture, instead of the portals you mentioned. That's what
>> WikiProjects were made for. Maybe we should have such portals moved to
a subpage of their respective projects?

> I think portals should be the "public face" of WikiProjects.  A portal
should only exist if there is a formal set of users dedicated to keeping
it maintained.  If this is not happening, it should be
> archived or deleted (preferably archived).  Pages like
> [[Portal:Cricket]], while potentially just fan pages, actually provide
an excellent method of navigating appropriate content.  If they are kept
up, they do no harm.  If they are not kept up, they look messy and a
messy portal seems worse than an incomplete article.

> Sam

Hm, personally I don't see too much of a link between portals and
projects.  Astronomy-related projects include telescopes and astronomical
objects, neither of which would make a good topic for a portal, while a
wikiproject:astronomy would be too broad to work well as a project.  I
agree with MgM that the portals I listed in my earlier mail cover topics
much more suited to a project than to a portal.

WT