[WikiEN-l] Re: WP:IAR

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Tue Sep 20 13:09:41 UTC 2005

If WP:IAR were deleted, people would not suddenly say "Oh, my goodness, I see
that the policy has changed, I will now start slavishly following the rules."
So there's no particular reason to delete it.

But if WP:IAR were deleted, people would still be bold and occasionally
ignore the rules. So there's no particular reason to have it.

Wikipedia is a community of people that have the technical capability of
performing certain operations within Wikipedia. Wikipedian policy is whatever
it is that Wikipedians customarily do. "Policy" statements inform, they do
not coerce.

It would be appropriate to delete WP:IAR if there had, in fact, been a sea
change in general Wikipedian conduct, toward the direction of rigorously and
literally following written policy at all times.

Should we consider deleting "Wikipedia:Be bold"?