[WikiEN-l] Re: Topic warriors

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Sat Sep 17 16:57:13 UTC 2005

> From: Guettarda <guettarda at gmail.com>
>
> I think that any article nominated for deletion should include
> reference to
> the applicable deletion criteria, otherwise the noms should be
> deleted as
> spurious.

I think that's a really bad idea. Who gets to decide which
nominations get deleted? This is an open invitation to edit warring
over AfD nominations. And legalistic wrangling. (The main effect it
would have is that all nominators would soon learn to include the
magic words "Article is not suitable for Wikipedia," which is an
official "problem that may required deletion" according to the policy
page).

The right thing to do when you see a spurious nomination is to point
out that it is spurious and why. (In an ordinary text comment, of
course. Big honkin' garish colored boxes don't add credence.
Hypothetically, of course).

If your argument carries weight, it will influence other voters to
vote "keep." This will have three effects. First, the article will be
kept. Second, nominations that get a near unanimous string of five or
six "keeps" don't waste much time because most people can see how
things are going to go and won't bother commenting. Third, even if
all the voters remain civil, such an occurrence is pretty
embarrassing for the nominator and is likely to influence their
future behavior. Much moreso than having their nomination vanish from
the page with an edit comment like "I'm unilaterally deciding to keep
this article because I happen to think the nomination was spurious."

Finally, yes, badly reasoned votes, or votes with no reason at all,
are IMHO a problem, but I'm not at all convinced that there are
enough spurious nominations to constitute a problem.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/