[WikiEN-l] Re: Violation of Blocking Policy

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sat Sep 17 07:47:28 UTC 2005

G'day Brian,
> Alphax wrote:
>>> Actually, it was. You continued to revert without discussing why
>>> you were doing so on the article's talk page, or the talk page of
>>>  the other editor who was reverting you. /That/ is why we have
>>> the 3RR
>
> Actually, it wasn't.  You should familiarize yourself with Wiki's
> policies.  The policy on blocking for "excessive reverts" reads as
> follows:
>
> "Excessive reverts Sysops may block users who violate the three
> revert rule by reverting any page more than three times within a
> period of 24 hours. In the cases where multiple parties violate the
> rule, sysops should treat all sides equally. It is helpful to leave a
>  notice of the block, with links to the differences that demonstrate
> the violation, on the user's talk page."
>
> By Phroziac's own admission, there were no 3 reverts within a period
> of 24 hours, and, hence, no basis for blocking.

Not quite.  Phroziac admits you did not revert 3 times.  That's not the
same as admitting there was no basis for blocking.

> As the matter does not fall under any other grounds for blocking in
> Wiki's Blocking Policy, and that policy is acknowledged as an
> "exhaustive list" of situations that justify blocking, Phroziac
> clearly abused his administrative authority by issuing a block in
> contravention of Wiki's Blocking Policy.  The block should be lifted
> and Phroziac should be called to the carpet for his violation of Wiki
>  policy.

Bzzt!  See [[WP:3RR]]:
   The three-revert rule is not an entitlement, but an "electric fence";
   the 3RR is intended to stop edit wars. It does not grant users an
   inalienable right to three reverts every 24 hours or endorse reverts
   as an editing technique. Persistent reversion remains strongly
   discouraged and is unlikely to constitute working properly with
   others.

Now, if you double-check [[WP:BLOCK]], you may find that editors who
exhaust the patience of the community by demonstrating an unwillingness
to work well with others ... may be blocked.

Avoiding 3RR on a technicality does not prevent you being blocked for
3RR violations.  I don't know if that's what you've done, but given
Phroiac's comment that he felt you were "gaming the system", it sounds
legitimate enough.

(And that's a non-admin's view.  Imagine what the *admins* think of you ...)

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"