[WikiEN-l] Re: Afd "votes" with no real reasons given

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 16:59:35 UTC 2005

On 15/09/05, Alphax <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Count the number of articles that go up to AFD every day, and ask
> > yourself if you think its reasonable that everyone write a paragraph
> > - or even a short explanation - on everything they vote for. Simply
> > *voting* on everything would take an hour a day at least.

This is one reason why I see AfD as broken: it's very hard to actually
get a sensible reasoned debate going. One of the advantages of PWDS is
that there is no time limit to reaching consensus on talk pages -
plenty of time for a good-quality discussion. Those articles that are
really do deserve deletion will probably recieve no more attention
after they've gone, unlike where an article on AfD will sometimes get
20+ votes, all "delete" (why do people bother?).

BTW we could still easily list pages which were being debated for
deletion - just have a template with a category in it, and a central
DynamicPageList. Anything blanked without that template being added to
the talk page would be reverted as vandalism.

Dan