[WikiEN-l] Re: Afd "votes" with no real reasons given

dpbsmith at verizon.net dpbsmith at verizon.net
Thu Sep 15 13:00:03 UTC 2005

It frosts me when people on EITHER side make short, curt, dismissive comments
in AfD that consist simply of a vote and a _generic_ remark, like "Delete, nn
website," or "Delete, [whatever]cruft," or "Keep, all [whatever] are
inherently notable," or "KEEP! Of course. Why would anyone want to delete
this?"

It's lazy, it's polarizing, and it tends to push AfD in the direction of
being a vote (bad) rather than consensus-building discussion (good).

(Equally bad are appeals to _fictitious_ precedents or vague assertions that
imply that concensus has been reached in areas where they have not).

People unwilling to take a few minutes to look seriously at an article and
make a real, open-minded assessment of _that particular article,_ have
nothing useful to contribute to the discussion and should refrain from
posting.

To cast votes based on one's like or dislike for _a particular topic area_ is
unhelpful.

And the accumulation of initialisms and jargon doesn't help either. For gosh
sakes... if someone can't spare the 3.5 seconds it takes to type out the word
"non-notable" in full, I have to question whether they've got enough time to
do a thoughtful assessment of the article.

Personally, I comment in about one in five of the AfD discussions that I read
through. If I were a better person than I am, it would be more like one in
twenty. If I don't have something to say that is useful in forming a group
opinion, I don't say it. (Well... actually... you know... I often do, anyway.
But I SHOULDN'T).