[WikiEN-l] Why changing the deletion process is a bad idea

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:19:57 UTC 2005

Mark Gallagher wrote:
<snip>
> Actually, Snowspinner provided an example of '1' to start the thread
> (well, one of the threads): /Elf-Only Inn/.  As a webcomics fan myself
> (although I don't like or read /Elf-Only Inn/ itself), I can certainly
> see his point[0].
<snip>
> [0] And I'm hanging out for the time when Tycho and Gabe get their own
>     entries on en-WP.  That would obviously be cruft, but I'd like to
>     hear those who want minor characters from movies to have pages to
>     explain *why* major characters from /Penny Arcade/ don't belong.

It's about how much can be written on the subject of the article.
Seriously, how much needs to be written about a minor (or even major)
character in a movie, if they are known for nothing outside of that
movie, and the portrayal of the character in the movie was unremarkable?
Similarly, how much can be written about a character from a webcomic, if
they are known only for appearing in said webcomic[1]?

[1] The obvious exception here is where said character becomes notable
/outside/ of the webcomic, and enters[2] the ethereal realm of "popular
culture", whatever that is.

[2] Which is pretty much what I think "notable" means - "is notable
outside of dedicated fandom", ie. "has entered popular culture"[3].

[3] Whatever that means.[4]

[4] Too many footnotes may be hazardous to your health.

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign