[WikiEN-l] Why changing the deletion process is a bad idea

Keith Old keithold at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 20:42:59 UTC 2005

Geoff,

I realise that voters of Articles for Deletion need to sensitive to peoples
opinions when voting. Having said this, I would object rather strongly if an
admin closed a vote in Articles for Deletion on the grounds that a voter
referred to the subject as not being notable.

After all, one of the reasons for Speedy Deletion is that an article has not
established notability of the subject. As well, the main reason for keeping
an article is the belief that a user might find information on the subject
useful. In other words, the topic of the article is notable within a certain
field of study.

As for cruft, I never use the word myself as one man's cruft is another
man's interest. Having said this, I don't think an admin should close a vote
on such a trivial ground and I would support it being relisted as soon as
possible.

I think that we will always need an Articles of Deletion process and I think
that this system works as well as any could. It should aim to encourage as
much participation as possible so should be open to all users.

Regards

Keith
User Name: Capitalistroadster