[WikiEN-l] Vandalism concerns with commons images

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 19:53:49 UTC 2005

On 9/14/05, uninvited at nerstrand.net <uninvited at nerstrand.net> wrote:
> In an effort to start some serious discussion on this, I present
> herewith some pros and cons of granting some form of commons adminship
> to wikipedia admins (including en, de, fr, and possibly other large
> wikipedis).

Being granted administrator access is a sign of community respect,
earned within the community.  If you want the respect of other related
project communities, participate in those other communities.  I expect
members of other Wikimedia communities to establish themselves at
Wikipedia-EN before they get admin access.

If you don't like the requirements that each of the other communities
establishes, don't try to short circuit their processes through
discussion on the "parent project".  Go there, and convince them it is
in their best interest to grant common adminship.  Don't start here
and say "Hey, they should grant me adminship upon arrival".  Here, I
think the only appropriate discussion is whether Wikipedia-EN grants
other projects' admins immediate access to our admin toolbox upon
arrival.  Just as they have no business telling us who to grant
adminship to, we have no business telling them.

Even though adminship is supposed to be "no big deal", I'm opposed to
any form of automatic common adminship on Wikipedia-EN for other
project admins.  If it truly is no big deal, then it should be no big
deal to establish yourself anywhere you'd like to have admin tools.  I
just don't like the idea of getting additional access by peerage.  It
doesn't recognize the will of the individual communities involved.

The exception I see is for those who are personally chosen by Jimbo or
a quorum of the Board for any reason they see fit.
--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused