[WikiEN-l] Wrongly deleted articles

Phroziac phroziac at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:26:04 UTC 2005

On 9/14/05, Tony Sidaway <minorityreport at bluebottle.com> wrote:
> Oh I haven't done speedy patrol for a while, so I thought I'd take a quick
> look for you and see what I could find.  I only looked at the first page
> of the log,
>

> FTSEurofirst 80: "FTS Eurofirst 80 Index is a stock index of European
> stocks."
>
> And there's a link.
>

> Plenty of context, infinitely expandable--you can add the history, who
> compiles it, who uses it, compare it to other indexes of this type in the
> same and other markets, and so on.  Excellent encyclopedia-fodder.

That sounds like it would *barely* pass context standards to me..

(snip)

> Here's another:
>
> Buffalo Lake, Alberta: "Buffalo Lake is the fourth biggest lake in Alberta."
>
> Short and sweet. Pop that on AfD and you'll have a decent article in no
> time.  If anyone says "no context" I shall scream. It's the fourth biggest
> lake in Alberta, for heaven's sake!  If it is we need an article on it,
> and if it isn't we'll find out soon enough.

Speedy undeleted and stub tagged. That's longer then most of our
stubs! But, it's not like it would have been hard to re-write into a
perfect stub. And, more information would have kept it from being
speedied..

> 13th key: "13th Key is a RPG mage using RPG Maker by Matthew Smith. It is
> a combination of A bad game and a good game in terms of grphics and
> gameplay."
>

> Well a bit POV but not speediable.  Of course I know who Matthew Smith is
> and the deleter didn't.  He could have checked, though.    He's the guy
> who wrote Manic Miner for the Spectrum as a seventeen-year-old, and he has
> a Wikipedia article.
Uhm...that *REALLY* sounds like something that some 15 year old made
when he was bored, but if you know who he is, then I guess it's not.
More information would have kept it from being speedied. I wouldn't
object if you wrote a new stub for it.

> Are these articles worth bothering about?  Possibly.  Depends what kind of
> mood I'm in.  At the very worst, each one of these is AfD territory, not a
> speedy---as far as twelve hours ago--and I only looked at speedies by one
> particular RC patroller.

They're halfway decent stubs, but we really don't need a lot of one
line articles, and we probably really didn't loose anything by
deleting them.