[WikiEN-l] Images on user pages

Rob gamaliel8 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 07:53:14 UTC 2005

That wasn't a cheap shot.  Now *this* was a cheap
shot, but I laughed anyway.
http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikien-l/2005-September/028547.html

It was an honest statement of my opinion, and I don't
know why you seem to have interpreted it as an attack
or an attempt at debate oneupsmanship or whatever. I'm
sorry if you were offended.

I think we can let these rules slide for user pages
because editors contribute to the project and the
project can't exist without their hard work, so we can
allow them little insignificant perks like this.  To
tell an editor "you can contribute your hard labor to
this project for free but you can't put up a pic of
your kids unless you release the copyright" strikes me
as - and again, no personal offense intended here - an
incredibly petty act.

I really don't understand how the occasional non-free
userpage pic will clog up anything.  Of far more
concern to me is the endless number of "fair use" pics
in articles whose sole fair use justification seems to
be "I want this".

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com:

Who's denying them the permission to put up pictures
of them, their dogs or
their kids? They can make the images PD, Creative
Commons, GFDL ...

But if they want to put up restricted-license images,
that's a step too far,
IMO. Your userpage isn't the same as your personal
homepage, and if you care
so much about those image licenses, keep them there.

Given that unscrupulous mirrors will probably suck up
the whole contents
anyway, it's not smart.

I've put in probably thousands of hours of free labor
too, and I'm sure most
of us have, so that's a cheap shot.