[WikiEN-l] Site search

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 23:56:34 UTC 2005

On 9/13/05, Dan Grey <dangrey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed. Personally, I only use Google site search on Wikipedia (which,
> incidently, had [[Sheep shearer]] as the first result for "Blade
> shears").
>
> I've noticed that Wikicities has a google search box below the
> built-in search. I wonder if we could have the same?

Considering it pops a Google search box in whenever the search function has
been disabled, the code for this must already be out there.

The only problem I have with Wiki-via-Google is that Google also indexes
redirect pages. Not the end of the world, but it always looks a little
sloppy, but it's not really Google's fault.

I'm not sure what the effect would be of having redirects add a meta robots
noindex tag to them, but it might be worth thinking about.

FF