[WikiEN-l] Vandalism concerns with commons images

Dan Grey dangrey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 22:27:28 UTC 2005

On 13/09/05, uninvited at nerstrand.net <uninvited at nerstrand.net> wrote:
> I did not "demand" adminship on the commons.  I asked politely and was
> turned down, based on my lack of involvement at commons.  Commons has
> its own wikipolitics, which should be unsurprising.  The "official"
> criteria is 100 uploads or other edits.  Sometimes this is enforced,
> sometimes not.  As is the case on en, commons adminship requirements
> appear to have become more demanding with time.

It's not "wikipolitics". You had made two edits to the Commons beyond
your user pages before you applied for adminship. Not suprising you
were turned down, is it?

> The point is that vandalism on commons affects en.wikipedia, and such
> vandalism is likely to become a growing problem as more images get
> migrated.  For technical reasons alone it is harder for en admins to
> track such vandalism, because it does not appear in recentchanges on
> en, or in the "related changes" pages.  The fact that vandalism, once
> identified, cannot be properly addressed by en. admins (at least in
> cases where page protection or a block is appropriate), makes matters
> even more difficult.

Anyone can fight vandalism on the Commons (one-click revert is
available to any logged-in user). If you want someone blocked, ask in
#wikimedia.commons. If you want to be able to block users yourself,
establish a good track-record, then apply for adminship yourself.

> If commons is a completely independent of en.wikipedia, perhaps we
> should reconsider our present drive to move images to commons.  I don't
> think that would be wise.  The original intent of commons was to create
> a project that would serve all wikipedias rather than to create a
> freestanding media archive unrelated to any of them.

Yes, the Commons is a repository of Free media, that can be used by
any project. What's that got to do with adminship?

Dan