[WikiEN-l] Article deletion

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:34:54 UTC 2005

>From: Dan Grey <dangrey at gmail.com>
>
>Revert wars wouldn't get very far due to the 3RR - it would force
>people to come to a *consensus* over whether or not to include an
>article, rather than just voting.

With 3 people on each side of a delete vote, I could see them getting quite
far.

> > In the end, we are going to force discussions over the matter.  It is
> > conventional WP philosophy that edit wars are not good.  They attract
> > trolls and POV-pushers and, in the end, force a tyranny of the
> > majority, as the 3RR will always win.  However, the discussions would
> > essentially be AfD discussions about controversial articles.
>
>No, AfD doesn't have "discussions", it has simple majority votes. PWDS
>would force *discussion* over voting, as the power to delete/undelete
>would belong to everyone, therefore everyone would have to agree on a
>course of action :-).

AfD has plenty of discussions, and quite often people changing their votes
as a result of the discussions, or as a result of changes to the article
itself.  However, "PWDS" would more likely simply result in endless revert
wars - I see no reason to think that any discussion would be "forced", and
Wikipedia consensus isn't about *everyone* agreeing, but rather most people
agreeing.  Creators of an article will almost never agree it is a good idea
to delete it, regardless of the amount of discussion.

Jay.