[WikiEN-l] Deletion suggestion

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 14:13:07 UTC 2005

Keith Old wrote:
> While I appreciate people are trying to think of ways to improve a process
> which they perceive as deficient, that process and others not involving a
> central process open to all users would end up working very inconsistently
> with articles being deleted or not at the whim of which admin comes through
> at a particular time.
>
> Let us look at an article about a person who is notable in Australia but not
> elsewhere (for example) which is in a poor state. Editor A comes and tags
> the article for deletion. Editor B comes through and deletes it. Neither
> editor is aware of the significance of the person in Australia and the
> article is deleted.
>
> If it was listed on articles for deletion, an editor or editors from
> Australia could argue for its retention and improve it meaning we have a
> better article.

This is why I proposed splitting AFD by topic, and look where it got
me... I remember when I was more active on the [[WP:AWNB]] that we had a
section for "Australia-related articles on VFD", sometimes we would keep
these out of mainstream VFD, and we would perform the same courtesy to
other regional noticeboards.

> Apart from that, I suspect that the undeletion process will become unclogged
> with many accusations of editors/admins acting in bad faith.

I concur. Under PWDS there is too much room to assume bad faith. Either
people will leave over month-long revert wars, or we will have groups of
sysops running around protecting and unprotecting articles in order to
try and "keep" or "delete" them.

> I will flag now that I will not vote for any proposal unless that I am
> pretty sure that it will improve the system. I will not vote for any
> proposal which removes the deletion process from the scrutiny of ordinary
> users.

Indeed. Hence my scepticism of the "hidden semi-deleted pages" option.

Damn, I feel like being bold and just going and...

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign