[WikiEN-l] Article deletion

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Tue Sep 13 02:35:07 UTC 2005

G'day Bryan,

> Mark Gallagher wrote:
>> G'day Dan,
>>> Pure wiki deletion system.
>>
>> A vandal's paradise.
>>
> Vandals can _already_ blank pages. Other people notice the blanking,
> check what's been blanked in the history, and if they think it was
> inappropriate they revert it. What would change?

Under "pure wiki deletion system", AIUI, blank pages are effectively no
different from deleted pages.  At present, an experienced editor coming
across a blank page would say "that's funny, we shouldn't have blank
pages," and revert, then either put it up for AfD or move on.

If all blank pages are redlinks, then one obvious clue that a page
should exist would disappear.  How many people would follow a redlink
(given the gigantic amount we have on en-WP) just to see if it has any
history?

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"