[WikiEN-l] Vandalism concerns with commons images

David Benbennick dbenbenn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 23:46:38 UTC 2005

On 9/12/05, uninvited at nerstrand.net <uninvited at nerstrand.net> wrote:
> Images hosted on commons cannot be protected by admins from
> en.wikipedia.

An admin on EN need simply download the image, upload it to EN, and
protect.  We even have a template,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:C-uploaded, for this issue.

> Another problem area is that images on en: supercede those on commons
> with the same title.  Therefore, an image protected on commons could be
> vandalised by uploading a vandalised image by the same name on en
> (Unless there is a technical solution to this that I am not aware of.
> I haven't tried it).

You edit the image page on EN (either leaving it blank, or applying
the appropriate protection tag, like {{mprotected}}).  Then protect on
EN like normal.  That stops non-admins from uploading to EN.

> In general, I believe that there should be more trust and cooperation
> between the projects, to the point of having some process for fairly
> routine granting of commons adminship to en admins.

How about the reverse?  Are we prepared to grand EN adminship to all
Commons admins?

> I do note that there is an agreement to protect main page images that
> are on commons.  My concern is with other prominent pages.  The
> unexpected vandalism spree that accompanied the last U.S. presidential
> elections would be an example.

As far as I know, the Commons is perfectly happy to protect images for
other reasons.  They even have a template,
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Protected.  I've never seen
a request for protection on the Commons Village pump that wasn't
honored.

[[User:Dbenbenn]], [[Commons:User:Dbenbenn]].