[WikiEN-l] Article deletion

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 17:05:31 UTC 2005

Lack of closure, for one thing. I don't necessarily think the current
way works but at least you get some centralized discussion. My vision
of the "pure wiki deletion system" is one in which, after a week of
revert warring, people start complaining on some centralized place,
filing RfCs, etc., until finally it comes down to ten editors saying
"don't recreate the page or you'll get banned" which is really all AfD
or VfD was doing anyway.

There will always eventually be "discussion" at some point for the
articles that people are going to force it over. And said discussion
will probably always have bouts of "nastiness" if it's about whether
someone's grandma is notable or not.

In fact... maybe the best approach is not to encourage more commenting
on voting in VfD, but to discourage it! A simple vote of "keep" or
"delete", no discussion, no nastiness! (I'm only half joking.. but the
half that is joking is indeed joking)

The other thing of course is that blank pages are still indexed by
Google and our own sad little search engine, if I understand it
correctly. We could change this, of course, without too much
difficulty in Media Wiki (just have it insert a noindex noarchive
robot tag whenever it creates its cache of a page with no data or less
than X characters or whatever), so that's just a minor quibble. Blank
pages would also not appear as red links in the current
implementation. But this, I'm sure, could also be changed.

FF