[WikiEN-l] Re: Top-posting

Daniel P. B. Smith dpbsmith at verizon.net
Mon Sep 12 01:51:00 UTC 2005

> The problem with top-posting is not so much the top-posting itself,
> it is
> what it generally goes along with: copying the entire text of the
> article
> being replied to, and not being specific about what you're replying
> to.

Those are the problems, then, not whether the reply went above or
below the quoted text.

> Generally, one should be including only enough context to make it
> obvious
> what's being answered.
>
> -Matt

Well, sure (at least in mailing list or forum situations where people
can be assumed to be following a thread, or to go back to see what
was being referred to).

To tell the truth, I hardly ever notice whether people have top-
posted or bottom-posted.

As long as it's present as a matter of preference, and the emphasis
is put on being helpful to readers, I don't have any issues.

What I object to is the frequent _flaming_ of people for top-posting,
and to the inaccurate claim that top-posting is considered a major,
important faux pas in all Internet discussions at all times. Top-
posting is like splitting an infinitive. Some people hate it, and
some of the people who hate it can give you good reasons, but it's a
matter of taste and style, not a universally accepted or important
rule of grammar.

Daniel P. B. Smith, dpbsmith at verizon.net
"Elinor Goulding Smith's Great Big Messy Book" is now back in print!
Sample chapter at http://world.std.com/~dpbsmith/messy.html
Buy it at http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1403314063/