[WikiEN-l] Re: One Where We Blew It

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Sun Sep 11 19:36:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005, Phroziac wrote:

> I can agree, but i wasn't actually referring to that. I'm referring to
> things like (and directly quoting here)...
>
> Get a grip.
> Wow. I thought this was an encyclopedia.
> Next will be an article on the old lady who gives out boxes of raisins
> instead of candy on Halloween.

When I started writing my letter, it was to agree with you. (I agree
with the general condemnation of "cruft", for example.)

But the more I thought about what's been said here, & the lack of
specific examples, I found I didn't know what or who anyone here
was complaining about. I've followed AfD for about a week, argued
to keep & delete articles (sometimes against the prevailing consensus),
& haven't found many examples of objectionable behavior or language.
So I ended up writing a screed that argued the opposing case.

It helps to be precise. Otherwise, I, for one, find it easy to
introduce for consideration lots of possible, but irrelevant, cases
while discussing this matter.

Geoff