[WikiEN-l] Image copyright question: NYT images pre 1922 that are claimed to be copyrighted

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 17:16:10 UTC 2005

Personally, I interpret the ProQuest, JSTOR, Lexis Nexis, and similar
databases which contain lots of material published pre-1923 (or
otherwise public domain, i.e. the text of U.S. statutes) in two ways:

1. The material probably isn't copyrighted. Though Bridgeman v. Corel
was just about 2-D artwork, I don't see why the same rationality
wouldn't apply here. Copyright, in the U.S. anyway, is not a reward
for putting in effort, it is a pact in exchange for creative activity.
Scanning a 2-D newspaper page is not a creative activity. If the
materials are in the public domain, simple reproduction of them
(however costly) does not create a proprietary copyright (see the
Westlaw cases as well, which I think are mentioned in the [[Westlaw]]
article).

2. While you're probably not violating intellectual property law in
taking public domain images from their database, you probably are
violating their terms of service, which is probably grounds to block
you from their database or revoke your library privileges or something
that. So do it at your own risk. I doubt they would care very much
unless you were systematically removing articles from them and
creating your own service.

(Just as an aside, JSTOR is a great source for hi-res, public domain
images of scientists and science experiment results. I was able to get
a huge cache of pictures of and relating to Einstein in this way,
which are now on Commons. ProQuest's image quality is very bad since
they scanned them in from microfilm, which makes them worse than a
photocopy of a photocopy.)

Also, re: Sonny Bono: as I understand it (someone correct me if I'm
wrong), it didn't put anything which WAS in the public domain into the
private domain, it just made it so that things which were SUPPOSED to
enter into the public domain did NOT. Which is very sad, but at least
it doesn't open anyone up for litigation.

FF