legal paranoia (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Encarta article list)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 11 05:33:42 UTC 2005

I have always maintaied the a reasonable prima facie case for fair use
is enough to sustain us as long as the copyright owner doesn't complain.
A reasonable case would include having paid some attention to the law.

If or when he complains he will at least raise the standards.  Reviewing
the circumstances and complying with his request at that point will cost
us nothing.  We would only need to consider legal costs if we chose to
resist at that point..

Of course there are always people who are willing to start law suits
without any merit whatsoever; you can do nothing to prevent  those.

Ec