legal paranoia (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Encarta article list)

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 02:50:40 UTC 2005

Well, that's implicit in any reasoned legal judgment about these things.
It's not just a case of whether one would win on the merits in the end or
not, it's whether the opponent has good reason to think that they might win
as well. If that's the case, you're in trouble no matter how it goes down,
unless you've got a lot of money to burn for a the purposes of principle.
The goal of all of our work should be to keep ourselves not only in a
situation where we would win should we ever go to court, but also so that
the people who would have motivation to sue us would have no reason to
believe they could win.

This is why I consider our "fair use" policy in general to be preemptive --
it's a policy of announcing, "Hey, this is what we'll say, and we'll
probably win, so don't even try it." It's as close as we can get, in the
confines of the current copyright law, of being at all secure in these
things, since "fair use" is only a defensive claim (you can't sue somebody
for obstructing your "fair use" of their materials, as a counter-example).

If the legal-types think that Encarta or whomever would have a good reason
to think they could win such a case, then I'd defer to them. These lists are
probably useful but they aren't essential to the project, and the principle
they stand for is not, in my mind, really something worth the hassle (in
comparison with the other things this project stands for).

FF