[WikiEN-l] Re: One Where We Blew It

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 11:23:31 UTC 2005

On 10/09/05, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Matt Brown wrote:
>
> >I'm also tired of the use of '<whatever>-cruft' as a reason for deletion.
> >There's a certain mindset that seems to think that the existence of articles
> >on minor but factual and verifiable topics detracts from Wikipedia. To that,
> >I'd say: everyone's pet interest is a fringe interest to someone.
> >
> I remember once coming across a VfD where someone wanted to delete an
> article because it was "sciencecruft". It was about some obscure
> mathematical thing I didn't understand, and probably that the nominator
> didn't understand either. :)

There was a spate of transuranic elements being put on VfD last
December (or November, or thereabouts), as "sciencecruft" - the only
thing that seemed to distinguish them was that they were ones where
the "common" name hadn't yet been officially agreed. Whether they
existed yet or not seemed to be considered an irrelevancy...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk