[WikiEN-l] Re: One Where We Blew It

Matt Brown morven at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 06:00:02 UTC 2005

I'm also tired of the use of '<whatever>-cruft' as a reason for deletion.
There's a certain mindset that seems to think that the existence of articles
on minor but factual and verifiable topics detracts from Wikipedia. To that,
I'd say: everyone's pet interest is a fringe interest to someone. Whether a
Wikipedia article should exist on a topic should have nothing to do with how
well one can disparage the subset of people interested in that particular
topic.

That said, if there's not enough to say about a topic, it might not deserve
an article of its very own. I'm all in favor of e.g. grouping minor
fictional characters together in an article 'Minor characters in <novel>',
or whatever.

-Matt