[WikiEN-l] One Where We Blew It

Ral315 en.ral315 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:34:18 UTC 2005

On 9/6/05, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:

> Tch! And I remember you ranting on IRC about how rude the inclusionists
> were on VFD and how the deletionists would never be so obnoxious ...
>
> Note, by the way, that the spurious deletion criteria for webcomics is a
> symptom of the spurious criterion of "notability". Which has repeatedly
> been rejected as policy.
>
> I move:
>
> 1. VFD or AFD or whatever it's called be shut down entirely. No article
> deletion other than CSD, copyvios and similar. VFD is sufficiently
> damaging that *nothing at all* would be better than it existing in
> any present form.
> 2. A month to discuss new deletion mechanisms. 1 should get the keen
> deletionists very interested indeed.
> 3. A vote. Nothing passes with under 75% support.
>

> - d.

As sad as AfD can occasionally be, it's an effective tool for band vanity,
etc. If we're going to get rid of AfD, we need to do one or more of the
following things first:

1. Expand CSD to include things like band vanity, etc. that get submitted to
AfD on a daily basis.
2. Replace AfD with something better and easier.
3. Allow administrators to delete pages on site, replacing them with a
notice similar to {{deletedpage}}, and allowing all relevant debate on VfU
(controversial, but perhaps an easier system than VfD is right now).

I don't think removing AfD entirely will solve anything; rather, I think
accomplished trolls will start to add nonsense that *barely* passes CSD, but
is unencyclopedic, or even non-factual in nature. The United States nearly
collapsed until the Constitution was written, because the Articles of
Confederation were as well as having no policy at all. Such would be the
case if we deleted the main deletion mechanism.

--
Sincerely,
Ral315