[WikiEN-l] Re: One Where We Blew It

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:37:20 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Alphax <alphasigmax at gmail.com> wrote:

> Snowspinner, I'm sorry that I harassed you, and that you feel so hurt by
> articles being deleted, but if people feel that something is not notable
> enough to belong in Wikipedia - and AFAICT, this is still a valid reason
> for voting to delete something (actually, I don't think you even *need*
> to provide a reason when voting) - then they will vote, "nn. webcomic,
> delete".

Well and honestly, one of the big problems with VfD is that it involves/d
people voting on things they knew very little about, usually. I think it is
worth reiterating that it is the job of the *article content* to establish
notability, not the job of the voters. In an ideal VfD world, one would
blame the articles for how they were voted, not the voters.

When I was pretty new here, a philosopher who I thought is notable enough
for Wikipedia ended up on VfD once. I of course complained on the voting
page and tried to convince people that he was notable and got angry that
nobody was deferring to my judgment on it. Some smarter fellow than I came
along and actually took what I said and *put it into the article*. After
which point it was clear the article was notable and the article was kept.
In this case, VfD was actually a positive process in article improvement --
something not too uncommon, I think, and an aspect of VfD which has been
somewhat underemphasized in the calls for deletion reform.

FF