[WikiEN-l] One Where We Blew It

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Tue Sep 6 19:45:45 UTC 2005

Snowspinner (Snowspinner at gmail.com) [050906 06:07]:

> And it's not enough to say, "Oh,  [[Gossamer Commons should have been
> kept." The point is that there shouldn't be endless deletion debates
> on articles where people wave guidelines around that are
> transparently crap. Deletionists should not be running rougshod over
> a substantial group of people who want to contribute on a topic.
> There should not be a webcomics fork born out of frustration about
> how unfriendly we are to people who want to contribute on webcomics.
> A fork born of a desire to have even more detailed coverage than is
> appropriate for Wikipedia, and that wants to supplement Wikipedia's
> coverage? Fine. Neat. That would be cool. But this isn't that. This
> is a fork. This is good people taking their ball and going home,
> because of the toxic culture on VfD.
> We blew this one.

Tch! And I remember you ranting on IRC about how rude the inclusionists
were on VFD and how the deletionists would never be so obnoxious ...

Note, by the way, that the spurious deletion criteria for webcomics is a
symptom of the spurious criterion of "notability". Which has repeatedly
been rejected as policy.

I move:

1. VFD or AFD or whatever it's called be shut down entirely. No article
   deletion other than CSD, copyvios and similar. VFD is sufficiently
   damaging that *nothing at all* would be better than it existing in
   any present form.
2. A month to discuss new deletion mechanisms. 1 should get the keen
   deletionists very interested indeed.
3. A vote. Nothing passes with under 75% support.

- d.