[WikiEN-l] Re: One Where We Blew It

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 15:15:35 UTC 2005

Snowspinner wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2005, at 5:21 AM, Alphax wrote:
>

>> Now if the webcomics community feels wronged by the Wikipedia  community,
>> I am sorry. But we cannot help it if we find an article on our
>> encyclopedia which fails our notability guidlines. It is not the  job of
>> Wikipedia, *and never will be*, to make things notable.
>

> Which notability guidelines are these? The terrible webcomic ones  that
> I outlined the problems of? Or the ones at [[WP:NOT]] where it  says
> there are "no practical limit to the number of topics we can  cover
> other than verifiability and the other points presented on this  page?"

Maybe you want to check [[WP:N]]. Just because something exists doesn't
make it notable.

> I mean, we're not talking about someone's garage band with a single
> self-released EP here. Articles are getting deleted that are  verifiable
> articles on webcomics with substantial readerships. Elf  Only Inn was
> picked up by the biggest webcomic syndicate online.  Deleted.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Undelete/Elf_Only_Inn,
there are 13 deleted edits - you can restore them if you wish. Elf Only
Inn is a webcomic that I would call notable, even back in April. Other
webcomics, not so.

> And what on Earth does it mean to be notable outside its community?  For
> a webcomic to be notable outside its own fans? Outside of  webcomics
> fans in general? We're willing to have an article on each  individual
> Simpsons episode (Explicitly - it's on the meta page  "Wikipedia is not
> paper"). Are these notable outside of Simpsons  fans? Or is the judgment
> that Simpsons fandom is somehow more notable  than webcomics fandom? And
> if so, who's making that judgment?

It means "Just because fans of a particular (whatever) love this thing
to bits, doesn't mean we should have an article on it". There are video
games that are notable in their own right, and the storylines of those
video games are very notable amongst the fan community, but that doesn't
mean that we need articles on any of the events or characters from said
storylines.

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign