[WikiEN-l] Re: One Where We Blew It

Michael Turley michael.turley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 00:01:21 UTC 2005

On 9/5/05, J.F. de Wolff <jfdwolff at doctors.org.uk> wrote:

> I agree with Phil's observation, but it's not just the
> [[profanity|****]] deletionists that are to blame. There are honestly
> too many people so hungry for attention that they continuously seek
> to make Wikipedia aware of their unnotability. These characters are
> an undesired effect of being completely open, and cause pollution of
> good material with their own vanity. It is them we should blame to a
> large degree for our failure to distinguish between bona fide and
> shockingly unnotable.
>
> When it comes to webcomics, it is extremely hard (for a non-insider)
> to make a judgment between notable and non-notable, which is exactly
> the point in having guidelines. I know this is elitist, but in these
> matters an uninformed opinion is a potentially destructive one.
>
> Jfdwolff

I agree that we have a very difficult problem with VfD/AfD. The current
culture is of war, not tolerance. I think it is because the deletion forums
(and deletion forum policy discussions) are populated (and some might say
dominated) by many the same people who are our best workers in the fight
against vandals.

Far too often the case is "people write about what they care about; VfD
voters vote against what they don't care about".

There are several article drafts that I just haven't bothered to write in
this toxic environment.

--
Michael Turley
User:Unfocused