[WikiEN-l] One Where We Blew It

Ryan Norton wxprojects at comcast.net
Mon Sep 5 21:09:20 UTC 2005

Hi there,

 > because of the mob of pissy deletionists who dominate VfD

So I take it you are a pissy inclusionist then? :)

In all seriousness though it is a difficult issue. I think the more
recent controversial ones like Stardestroyer.net (its 3rd VfD which
finally resulted in its demise) and trekbbs one or whatever highlight
this.

VfD itself is an interesting mentality that is really easy to get
sucked into. Even though are many fairly notable websites that get
canned because they fall just short of WB:WEB for example, many other
articles that don't meet it get kept for other reasons, such as because
they are entertaining (GNAA, List of Ethnic Stereotypes etc. etc.).

The system does work in a sense though. For example, a couple a put up
there that were of somewhat non-notable websites, but were written very
well, got deleted rather soundly with a surprising turnout given the
subject matter (and some funny but demeaning jokes from the voters).

Of course, I say it works in the sense that you're making a strict
encyclopedia, which tends to go against the wikiway (I mean the C2
wikiway not the wikipedia wikiway :)). In fact when I first came to WP
a long time ago I thought that was the way it worked... and was
surprised to see VfD and other venues to removing content.

I myself got sucked into it earlier on (admittedly its quite fun and a
great way to inflate your edit count), plus there are a lot of
old-timers there (who probably are deletionists themselves ;)). Lately,
I've been realizing that there needs to be more inclusionists voting
there (although some self-described inclusionists seem to vote delete
on everything anyway...).

Maybe it gets back to the old argument that you need people who are
really familiar with the subject to judge it. Who knows...